- 1.5 kg of lamb cubes
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 carrot cut into pieces (155 g-1 ¼ cup)
- 200 g (1 ¼ cups) chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups Paris mushrooms, cut in 2
- 2 cups bacon
- 3 cups grey shallots cut in 2
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. grated pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped orange peel
Preheat oven to 320° F
Dry meat cubes with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a casserole dish and place a single layer of meat to brown. Remove from pan and continue with remaining meat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and bouquet garni and cook for a few minutes. Add the meat and sprinkle with flour. Mix well. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Cover and put in the oven for 1 hour and a half.
In the meantime, heat the remaining butter in a frying pan and brown the bacon and grey shallots for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until the mixture becomes brown. Drain the mixture and add it to the casserole. Cover the casserole and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove the fat from the surface.
When ready to serve, combine rosemary, parsley, pecorino and orange zest and use as a garnish.